Main Article Content
Implementation of state programs is impossible without a clear understanding of the essence of the concept of «rural territory», which still remains without attention. Therefore, it is important not only to consolidate the concept in the Federal legislation, but also the list of criteria for classifying settlements into urban or rural. The article analyzes the definition of «rural territories» in the EU and Russia, as well as criteria for assigning the territory the status of rural areas. In addition, the main goals of sustainable development of rural areas in the Russian Federation, the achievement of which is possible due to the implementation of the proposed algorithm for the formation of target programs that take into account the individual characteristics of rural areas, in which activities are implemented. Priority directions of target programs of territories development are offered: organizational and legal; social and demographic; production and economic; infrastructural.
2. Gordeev, A. B. (2005). The problem of food security and sustainable agricultural development in the world and Russia: Sustainable agriculture and rural areas of foreign experience and problems Russia. Moscow, Publishing scientific publications KMK.
3. Jonard, F., Lambotte, M., Ramos, F., Terres, J.M., & Bamps, C. (2009). Delimitations of Rural Areas in Europe Using Criteria of Population Density, Remoteness and Land Cover. JRC Scientific Report.
4. Lewandowski, I., Hardtlein, M., Kaltschmitt, M. (1999), Sustainable crop production: Deﬁ nition methodological approach for assessing and implementing sustainability. Crop Science, 39, 184-193.
5. Morgan, S. L., Marsden, T., & Morley, A. (2010). Agricultural miltifunctionality and farmers entrepreneurial skills: a study of Tuscan and Welsh farmers. J. Rural. Srud., 26, 116-129.
6. OECD (1994). Creating Rural Indicators for Shaping Territorial Policies. Paris: OECD.
7. Rosstat. (2017). Municipalities database performance. Federal State Statistics Service. [Online] Available: http://www.gks.ru/dbscripts/ munst/munst56/DBInet.cgi (February 1, 2018).
8. Van der Ploeg, J.D., Renting, H., Brunori, G., Knickel, K., Mannion, J., Marsden, T., De Roest, K., Sevilla-Guzman, E., Ventura, F. (2000), Rural development: From practices and policies towards theory. Sociologia Ruralis, 40(4), 529-543.